From The Deep
When Andrew, a missing BU Grad Student, arrives in the surreal room of the missing, Ilan, an Israeli POW of five years, must convince Andrew to play the games, keep his mind active, and face the truth of his captivity before they both go missing forever. From The Deep explores the question: where do we go when we’re in captivity, and what do we do to survive?
Cast Of Characters
ILAN SHALIACH, a 26 year old Israeli Solider, Prisoner Of War for 5 years, he is skinny, nearly too skinny, he has an accent when he speaks English, but he speaks English very well. He is trying to make amends.
ANDREW DAYTON, is a 23 year old American, Architecture Student, from Pennsylvania, with just a hint of an accent. ANDREW is tall, handsome in an America Apparel sort of way.
Read the play on the New Play Exchange
Meet the Cast and Crew of the Boston Public Works Theater Company 2015 production HERE!
DEVELOPMENT HISTORY / AWARDS
- Developmental Production at Boston Public Works at the Black Box Theatre at the Boston Center for the Arts March 12th-28th, 2015, directed by Lindsay Eagle; featuring Charles Linshaw* and Jeff Marcus.
- Winner of the 2014 Boston University Jewish Cultural Endowment Grant
- Second place winner of the Latinidad Playwriting Award at the 2014 Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival
- Pestalozzi full length play prize winner at the Firehouse Center For The Arts New Works Festival and received a staged reading on January 31st 2014 at 8pm. Directed by Lindsay Eagle, Featuring:Charles Linshaw* and Jeff Marcus.
- Semi-finalist for the nuVoices Play Festival at Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte.
- Semi-finalist for the Global Age Project 2014 at the Aurora Theatre in Berkeley CA.
- This play is currently under development with Interim Writers and The Accomplice Writers' Group. It was developed at Lesley University MFA Writing for Stage and Screen, mentored by Jami Brandli and Kate Snodgrass.
- Reading of the first scene of this play was read May 5th, 2013, with Interim Writers at The Democracy Center in Cambridge MA. Directed by Lindsay Eagle. Featuring: Charles Linshaw* and Kelby T. Akin*.
Boston Public Works Theater Company Presents "From The Deep" by Cassie M. Seinuk - See It This Weekend At Boston Center for the Arts - The White Rhino Report, Al Chase
"Playwright Cassie M. Seniuk has written an intriguing new work that examines many facets of terror and loss of freedom. Under the steady directorial hand of Lindsay Eagle, two actors reveal multiple layers of themselves as their time of incarceration together lengthens." "The play reminded me of elements of "Waiting For Godot," as well as Sartre's "No Exit."" "By placing these two kinds of victims together in a fictional setting, she challenges us to examine the many ways in which loss of freedom can erode the human spirit, - or strengthen it." "see this provocative and well-conceived play"
"From The Deep is further proof that Boston’s theater community would be better served if it put as much of its resources into presenting the work of local literary talent as does in the habitual importation of the (often) mediocre work stuffed into the New York-centric new play pipeline."
Song that inspired the title...
"Who'll lend his hand to build you a home
Who'll lay his life down under your footsteps
Who like the earth at your feet shall live on
Who'll love you better than all of your lovers
Who'll save you from the rage of the storm
Out of the depths"
Link to the source: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/No-Title-depth-sea.html#songtranslation#ixzz2rFP0VCNH